Basement water damage is a major problem we often encounter in the Sandusy OH and Toledo OH areas. While the basement might be out of sight and out of mind, standing water can contain infectious diseases and chemical pollutants, as well as posing a safety hazard. Today, we’re sharing helpful information about the common signs of basement water damage, its causes, and the steps you need to take upon finding this moisture problem.
Common Signs of Basement Water Damage
The severity of a water loss can range from minor indications of a problem to having several feet of water sitting in the basement. To prevent the latter, you‘ll want to periodically inspect your basement for any of the common signs of basement water damage:
- Cracks in the walls or floors
- Cement flaking off of surfaces
- The presence of efflorescence
- Crumbling or rotting plaster, drywall, or wood
- Yellow or brown stains
- Water intrusion from where the walls and floors join
- Unpleasant smells
- Visible mold growth
If you find signs of basement water damage, being proactive can save you time, money, and energy.
The Causes of Basement Water Damage
If you were able to pinpoint any of the common signs of basement water damage, you’ll also have to identify the source to truly mitigate the issue. Use the tips below to troubleshoot your basement water damage until further help can arrive.
- Sump Pump Failure – check your battery and mechanism. Clear the drain.
- Appliance Hose Leaks – tape the hose with plumber’s tape.
- Cracks in Walls – use hydraulic cement to patch the hole.
- Leaking Windows – use silicone latex caulk to reseal around the window.
- Burst Pipes – shut off the water supply, call a plumber.
- Drainage Issues – point gutters at least 10 feet away from the foundation. Grade your yard to drain away from the foundation.
- Sewage Backups – call a professional sewage backup cleanup company.
- Wall/Floor Leaks – call a foundation repair company.
There are plenty of causes basement water damage and basement flooding. The key is to act fast to prevent further damage.
How to Prevent Basement Flooding & Basement Water Damage
It is better to be pro-active than reactive. This is very much the case with preventing basement flooding. Utilize the basement water damage and basement flooding tips below to prevent moisture in your property.
- Repair foundation cracks
- Keep gutters clean and clear.
- Direct gutter downspouts at least 10 feet away from the foundation.
- Grade your yard to prevent water from accumulating at the foundation.
- Install a sump pump to collect any water.
- Consider investing in a generator to ensure your sump pump will work if the power goes out.
- Regularly clean your septic system.
- Install basement window well covers.
The Best Defense is a Strong Offense…
Being a property owner comes with many challenges. Fortunately, basement water damage is one that can be avoided in many cases. However, Erie Restoration understands that basement flooding and basement water damage happen sometimes. Call us today for 24/7 basement water removal and restoration services. We are your trusted basement flood damage cleanup company.